Scandal-scarred Oxfam scratched from list of charities receiving United Kingdom funding


One of the best-known worldwide NGOs, with aid programmes running across the globe, Oxfam is under threat of losing its British government funding over the sexual misconduct allegations.

Earlier this week, Oxfam Deputy Chief Executive Penny Lawrence resigned over the scandal, saying she was "deeply sad" and "took full responsibility" for purported misconduct by staff in Chad and Haiti.

"The intensity and the ferocity of the attack makes you wonder, what did we do?"

"I'm really inviting anyone who has been a victim of abuse by anyone in our organisation to come forward".

More than 1,000 direct debits to the charity were cancelled over the weekend and Mr Goldring said on Friday that the revelations could have a "substantial effect on public confidence, which would affect public donations".

Announcing plans to try to stamp out abuse in the organisation yesterday, Oxfam International's executive director Winnie Byanyima said the sexual exploitation allegations it faces were a "stain" on the charity "that will shame us for years".

The executive director of Oxfam, one of the leading global relief organizations in the world, has apologized and asked forgiveness in the wake of allegations that a former director hired prostitutes in disaster zones. The allegations relate to Oxfam Great Britain, one of 20 affiliates that make up Oxfam International.

More civilians killed in 2017
The UN also points out that airstrikes by worldwide and Afghan forces caused more casualties than the previous year. Report states that over 28,000 civilians have been killed and over 52,000 wounded in Afghanistan since 2009.

"I think (her criticism) was very unbalanced, and ironically didn't give enough credit to the very work that she promoted", he told the paper.

Speaking to reporters with the Het Nieuwsblad newspaper, who tracked him on the Belgian coast, Van Hauwermeiren said there were "lots of lies and exaggerations" in media reports.

The charity has denied a lack of transparency over the Haiti affair, which has prompted a flight of supporters, including actress Minnie Driver and Archbishop Desmond Tutu. The names of the men involved have already been shared with the authorities in Haiti.

The charity admitted Thursday it rehired one of those sacked in Haiti just months later and is now checking whether any complaints were subsequently made.

Ms Mordaunt said: 'We will not work with any organisation that does not live up to the high standards on safeguarding and protection that we require.

In response, Oxfam on Friday said it would create a global database of accredited referees to crack down on forged or unreliable references from past or current employees.