Turkey: Rocket attacks from Syrian enclave kill 2

Share

A total of 899 PKK/KCK/PYD-YPG and Daesh terrorists have been "neutralized" since the beginning of Operation Olive Branch in Syria's Afrin region on January 20, according to the Turkish General Staff on Saturday.

It came as Turkey's military pushed ahead with a cross-border offensive into an enclave in northern Syria to rout a Syrian Kurdish militia group it says is linked to outlawed Kurdish rebels in Turkey.

The attack on the tank, details of which were not disclosed, was also the single deadliest attack on the military of the offensive so far.

Turkey views the YPG (People's Protection Units) as a terrorist group and an extension of the banned Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), which has fought for Kurdish autonomy in south-eastern Turkey for three decades.

Three Turkish soldiers were killed on February 2 in the People's Protection Units (YPG) attacks in Syria's Afrin and southern province of Kilis, Hurriyet Daily News reports with a reference to Turkish General Staff statement.

The statement said the air operation targeted terrorists in Sheikh Haruz, northeast of Afrin, and was launched at 5.52 p.m. local time (1452GMT).

WH Funds Draft Ends Area Station Funding by 2025
The White House plans to end NASA's funding for ISS by 2025, according to a draft 2019 budget proposal seen by the Verge . Companies like SpaceX, Orbital ATK and Sierra Nevada Corp are paid billions to fly cargo and supplies there.

Turkey says it has killed some 900 Kurdish fighters, but this can not be independently verified.

Shouting "Erdogan, dictator" and "silence kills", the demonstrators - some of whom came by coach from the Netherlands, Austria and Germany - went to the Council of Europe before reaching Strasbourg's city centre, an AFP journalist saw.

Thousands of people have been displaced by the Turkish-led offensive that also involves 10,000 Syrian rebels.

Syrians attempting to flee violence and seek refuge in Turkey are facing indiscriminate fire by Turkish border guards, Human Rights Watch said Saturday.

A senior Turkish government official denied the report on Saturday, repeating that Turkey had taken in 3.5 million war refugees since the Syrian conflict began in 2011.

Share