Facebook Selfie Murder: Facebook Selfie Changes Murder Investigation


Now, it's even altering the way murders are committed and investigated.

Cheyenne Rose Antoine, 21, pleaded guilty to manslaughter for the March 2015 slaying of 18-year-old Brittney Gargol in a Saskatoon, Saskatchewan courtroom Monday, the paper reports. The body was discovered by a passerby.

"You were her friend".

She was identified as a suspect after she posted a selfie on Facebook of the two of them, showing her wearing the belt hours before Gargol died.

And the key piece of evidence was a Facebook photo of the pair. She "has issues...and because of those issues she is unsafe", the CBC reported. The incident that happened two years ago was finally resolved by the police.

In what Crown prosecutor Robin Ritter said was "a very long and complicated investigation", the court heard how Antoine used Facebook to leave "some bread crumbs" to mislead police, posting about Gargol's whereabouts a few hours after her death. In the picture, Antoine is wearing the belt that was used to murder her friends.

Judge blocks Trump from rescinding DACA
"The parents that we presume they brought them here that we're not talking about now, they don't wanna deport them either". The ruling could complicate negotiations between Trump and congressional leaders over immigration reform.

Detectives noticed that Antoine wore a distinctive black belt, visible around her waist in the bottom left corner of the selfie that she and Gargol took together the night of the killing.

Another friend told police Antoine came to his house that night "hysterical" and crying about her friend, who she killed after they got into an argument. She told the court she doesn't remember the murder. "I am very, very sorry.It shouldn't have ever happened". On Monday she pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of manslaughter. She was put into foster care when she was four years old, and endured a decade of physical and emotional abuse.

She then told the police that the pair had gone to several bars, but security footage showed that neither of them were at Colonial Pub and Grill, a bar that Antoine claimed they had gone to. Both girls were using alcohol and drugs on the fateful night, police said. She added that they met people before Gorgel made contact with an unknown man.

Members of Gargol's family cried as they struggled to read victim impact statements during the sentencing hearing, often passing their words to Ritter to read.

Cheyenne Antoine was already in jail for an unrelated offense when the police arrested her for the murder of Brittney Gargol.

'I will never forgive myself, ' she said.