Texas shooting: Gunman 'escaped mental hospital in 2012'


The former US serviceman who committed the deadliest mass shooting on record in Texas escaped from a mental hospital in 2012 as he faced court-martial on domestic violence charges for which he was later convicted, a police report revealed on Tuesday.

Police were also told that Kelley had been accused of "attempting to carry out death threats" against his "military chain of command".

On November 6 Breitbart News reported that the gunman, Devin Kelley, passed a background check in 2016 to acquire his rifle.

The U.S. armed forces are required to report dishonorable discharges and misdemeanor assault charges to the FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System, that in turn would alert a firearms seller to deny purchase to any such offender.

Ivey says he attempted to contact Kelley hours before the Sunday shooting after seeing a troubling Facebook post on Kelley's page that said "he wasn't thinking correctly and his head hurt".

Kelley had been sent to the hospital after he was court-martialled for assaulting his ex-wife and stepson during a stint in the US Air Force.

NASA releases playlist of spooky space sounds for Halloween
Scientists sometimes translate radio signals into sound to better understand the signals and they have done so in case of Jupiter. Space sounds are definitely spooky, but a busted speaker would be much more frightening.

The report gives further evidence that Kelley should have been prohibited from getting the the gun he used for the church massacre. "An investigation is now underway, and the Air Force is taking it very seriously, said the source".

The sheriff's office also said deputies had been called to Kelley's residence in February 2014 for a "disturbance", but that no arrests were made.

A witness told officers that Kelley "suffered from mental disorders" and was "a danger to himself and others as he had already been caught sneaking firearms onto Holloman Air Force base".

He was court-martialed in 2012 for assaulting his wife and stepchild, fracturing the baby's skull, and sentenced to 12 months in confinement.

Martin repeated earlier statements that the shooting appeared to stem from a domestic dispute involving Kelley and his mother-in-law, who sometimes attended services at the church but was not present on Sunday.