Three Israelis stabbed to death in West Bank settlement: army


He gave no details, but current contacts are largely limited to security cooperation.

Just hours later, three Israelis were stabbed to death in the Jewish settlement of Neve Tsuf in the Israel-occupied West Bank.

The army released footage showing a blood-covered kitchen floor. In a Facebook post written before the attack, Al Abed said he was answering "the call of Al Aqsa".

The Palestinian, who was shot and wounded at the scene, is in custody.

Palestinian youths run from the path of an Israeli army bulldozer during clashes in the village of Koubar, west of Ramallah, on July 22, 2017, as Israeli forces try to close the roads leading to the village.

The stabbing comes as tensions surrounding a shrine - known as the Temple Mount to Jews and the Noble Sanctuary to Muslims - in Jerusalem reach a boiling point. Three of the victims died, while the fourth was hospitalized.

It is considered the third-holiest site in Islam and the most sacred for Jews.

Ministers chose to leave the metal detectors in place, despite recommendations to remove them by the Shin Bet, Israel's internal security service, and other security organizations.

Читайте также: Amarnath Yatra attack: Protests against terror, communalism

On Friday, the Palestinian people marked "Day of Rage" to protest Tel Aviv's restrictions on entry into the al-Aqsa Mosque compound, which was met with a heavy-handed Israeli crackdown. They refused to enter, preferring to pray outside, in some cases filling the narrow alleyways of the Old City's Muslim quarter.

Noting the particular sensitivities surrounding the holy sites of Jerusalem, and the need to ensure security, the Quartet envoys called on all sides to show restraint, refrain from provocative actions and work toward de-escalating the situation.

In Jerusalem, where police had restricted access to the mosque to men over 50, two people were killed in skirmishes with Israeli troops.

Different residency rights have been introduced by Israel since it captured the West Bank, Gaza and East Jerusalem in the 1967 Six-Day War.

Israeli police spokesman Mickey Rosenfeld said reinforcements have been deployed in and around the Old City. Aware of the potentially explosive religious and political sensitivities, Israel allowed the Waqf to remain in charge of day-to-day affairs inside the mosque compound under the aegis of Jordan.

Resident Hashem Abu Diab said the mosque was "the last place we have in this country".

Angry demonstrations calling for the removal of the metal detectors are also taking place in cities across the Muslim world.

При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2018 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.

Код для вставки в блог